Recipe by Efisio Farris
From Sardinia: Chef Efisio Farris Goes Home
This recipe originally appeared in September, 2007, Food & Wine
“In my hometown of Orosei, bitter greens like arugula and dandelion grow alongside watermelons, so this salad is a natural combination for me,” says chef Efisio Farris. The recipe is a fabulous blend of juicy (watermelon) and crunchy (red onions and walnuts). For anyone who thinks raspberry vinegar went out with the ‘90s, this fruity vinaigrette will be a revelation.
* 3 pounds watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
* 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
* 1 1/2 cups arugula
* 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
* 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
* 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
* Salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 cup shredded ricotta salata
* 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a large bowl, toss the watermelon with the red onion. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
2. Add the arugula to the watermelon. In a small bowl, combine the orange and lime juices and vinegar. Pour the dressing over the salad and season with salt and pepper. Top with the ricotta salata and walnuts; drizzle with the olive oil and serve.
photo from againstallgrain.com