photo by Annabelle Breakey, Sunset Magazine
1.5 – 2 pounds of chicken
Wasabi powder (or fresh)
Almonds (sybs used Tamari Roasted Wasabi Almonds, which add flavor, but regular almonds would be fine. Or try some other nut: pistachio or cashew…)
3-4 bundles of baby bok choy
• Cut chicken in 2” strips and set aside.
• Add wasabi to buttermilk, approx. 1 tablespoon (or to taste), along with salt and pepper.
• Pour buttermilk over the chicken, covering meat completely.
• Let marinate in the fridge for about 3 hours. (minimum of 30 minutes)
• Crush almonds in food processor until fairly fine, mix with Panko breadcrumbs
• Place mixture into a shallow bowl.
• Beat one egg; add salt & pepper, place in shallow bowl.
• Drain buttermilk from chicken, pat dry.
• Heat oven to 350, oil a baking sheet lightly.
• Take one strip of chicken, brush lightly with the egg-wash, then press into breadcrumb mixture, covering all sides. Place on baking sheet, and repeat with remaining pieces. Bake for 30-40 minutes. (If you prefer, you can also fry the chicken in a pan).
• Clean & cut bok choy, removing tip of the base and any tough leaves. Cut into strips and sauté in oil with garlic and onion (Can also be brushed with oil & grilled).
• Plate the greens and drizzle with a sauce made of soy sauce, hot mustard and lemon or lime. (You could also add Asian fish sauce, as well as herbs)
• Place warm chicken on bed of greens. You can mix in some baby salad greens if you like.